BNO Visa


Rights in the UK

The below information is extracted from the UK Government website. For the latest updates on BNO visa application requirements and procedures, please visit British National Overseas BNO Visa.

If you’re from Hong Kong and a British National (Overseas), you and your family members can apply for a British National (Overseas) visa which is known as BNO visa. With the BNO visa, you may enjoy the rights in the UK:
  • Live

  • Work (except for professional sportsperson or sports coach)

  • Study (including at school, college or university)

You can apply to stay for either:
  • 2 years and 6 months

  • 5 years

How much does it cost?

Visa Application Fee Health Surcharge
5 Years visa £250 per person Adult: £3,120
Child: £2,350

*Child: under 18 years old
2 years 6
months visa
£180 per person Adult: £1,560
Child: £1,175


If you’re a British National (Overseas), you family members can apply as your dependant if they normally live with you. When you apply, you and your family member will need to provide evidence of your relationship and that you normally live together. A dependant can include your:

  • Husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner

  • Child or grandchild under 18

  • Child 18 or older, born on or after 1 July 1997 (and their partner or child under 18)

  • Parent, grandparent, brother, sister, son or daughter (18 or older)
    if they live with you and are very dependent on you for their care.

How to apply with your family

Each family member will need to make their own application as your dependant.
As a British National (Overseas), you’ll need to submit your application first to get an application number. This is called a Global Web Form (GWF) or a Unique Application Number (UAN).

Your family members will need to use your application number when they apply, and submit it within 2 days of your application.


Documents you'll need
to apply

You need to show Documents Remarks
Your identity and nationality A valid passport or other travel document If you’re a British National (Overseas) (BNO), you can use a current or expired BNO passport (or a photocopy) to show your BNO status when you apply.

If you no longer have a BNO passport you can still apply. The Home Office will check your status but it may take longer to get a decision on your application.

You do not need a BNO passport to travel to the UK. You can use any valid passport or travel document.
You have a permanent home in Hong Kong, the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man You’ll need to provide up to 3 documents that show your permanent home address. This can include:

  • household or utility bills
  • a visa, residence permit or other immigration document (or a colour photocopy)
  • payslips or your most recent P60
  • bank statements
  • a letter from an employer confirming your employment
  • records of rent or mortgage payments
  • an appointment letter from your GP or other healthcare professional
  • a letter from the local council or a government
Your family members (‘dependants’) will need to provide evidence that their permanent home address is the same as yours.
You have enough money to support yourself and your family for 6 months in the UK, unless you’ve been living in the UK for at least 12 months If you’re applying with family, evidence can include you and your family member’s income or savings. You might need to provide evidence such as:

  • bank or savings account statements
  • payslips
  • proof of income from self-employment
  • proof of income from rental property
  • a letter from friends or family with evidence (such as bank statements or payslips) that they have the money to support you and your family
  • a letter confirming an offer of accommodation from friends or family
  • a tenancy or mortgage agreement
At least one piece of evidence must be dated no more than 31 days before you submit your application.

An offer of work does not usually count as evidence unless you’re transferring to a job in the UK with your current employer.

If you’ve been in the UK for 12 months or more on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa, you still need to show you have enough money to support yourself and your family.
Your relationship with family members
  • a copy of a marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • a birth certificate or adoption certificate for children
  • evidence that their permanent home address is the same as yours
Your tuberculosis (TB) test certificate If you’re applying from outside the UK

If you’ve been living in Hong Kong or another country where you have to take a TB test for the past 6 months, you must provide a TB certificate.

If you’re already in the UK

If you provided a TB certificate to come to the UK, you do not need to show one again. Otherwise, you’ll need to provide a TB test certificate to stay in the UK if you came from Hong Kong or another country where you have to take the TB test.
The certificate must be no older than 6 months when you apply for your visa. Your test certificate must be from an approved test centre abroad or an approved test centre in the UK.

Country you need to take a TB test:
Approved test centres (clinics and hospitals) in Hong Kong:

Outside the UK

Apply from outside the

You must apply online for a British National (Overseas) visa.
You permanent home must be in Hong Kong.
As part of your online application, you’ll need to prove your identity. How you do this depends on what type of passport you have. You’ll either:
  • Use the “UK Immigration: ID Check” app to scan your BNO, HKSAR or EEA passport.

  • You’ll also create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account

  • Go to an appointment at a a visa application centre to give your fingerprints and a photo – this is to get a biometric residence permit (BRP)

After you apply

UKVI aims to make decision on your application within 12 weeks.

  • If you applied using the “UK Immigration: ID Check” app, the 12 weeks start from the date you submitted your online application.

  • If you went to a visa application centre, the 12 weeks from the date you attended your appointment and submitted your fingerprints.

If your application is successful

You must travel to the UK:

  • Within 90 days, if you went to a visa application centre to prove your identity

  • Before your visa expires, if you used the “UK Immigration: ID Check” app to prove your identity

If your application is unsuccessful

If you’re a British National (Overseas) and your application is unsuccessful, your family members’ applications will also be refused. If your application is successful but your family’s is not, you can still come to the UK. You’ll get a refund for the healthcare surcharge you paid for each unsuccessful application.

Permanent in the UK

Living permanently in
the UK

If you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years, you may be able to apply to stay permanently.

Applying to settle in the UK

You can apply to settle in the UK known as “indefinite leave to remain” after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years on a BNO visa. This means you can stay in the UK without any time limits. To apply, you’ll need to:

  • Meet the knowledge to English requirements

  • Pass the Life in the UK Test

  • Have spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months in the last 5 years

  • Pay an application fee.

Becoming a British citizen

One year after you settle in the UK with “indefinite leave to remain”, you’ll usually be able to apply for British citizenship.

HTML Example

A paragraph is a self-contained unit of a discourse in writing dealing with a particular point or idea. Paragraphs are usually an expected part of formal writing, used to organize longer prose.